Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Nicolas Tries Food (Baby-Led Weaning)

It doesn't matter what number baby you are--new milestones are a big deal. Probably an even bigger deal when you have older siblings to squeal excitedly over every little new thing you accomplish. Since Nicolas is 6 months old, I decided to start giving him some solids this week and it was so much fun. I'm giving baby-led weaning a go, and was amazed at how well he chewed and swallowed without choking! Babies at this age still get 100% of their nutrition from milk, so at this point it's just exploring and learning the hand and eye coordination to feed themselves. He puts everything in his mouth at this point, so that was a good indication that he was ready to start.

The older kids were super excited to help with this exciting event!




Their faces when trying something new are always priceless! And yes, he was chewing chunks this big, even though a lot of it came out of his mouth. Their chewing/swallowing is completely developed at this age--apparently, they learn it from sucking. Amazing! He loved to play with it and look at it, which "they" say is their way of learning and exploring new foods. 
The banana pieces were too slippery, so this was his preferred method of choice ;). I've since learned that you can give it to them right in the peel with some of it cut off. That worked much better because he had something big to grip and hold.
This is his, "OK Mom, shows over. Can I go to bed now?" face
Based on just a few days of experience (ha), I highly recommend this method of feeding! Of course, do your own research, and the book (which I borrowed from a friend-thanks, Amy!) was very helpful as well! Nicolas doesn't have any teeth yet, so I feel comfortable with only giving him soft foods for now, and I'm excited about the fact that I don't have to sit and feed him. He will participate right in our family meals all on his own!
 I won't bore you by making you listen to me lament about the fact that he is so old, (6 months is such a milestone!) so I'll end there.
 Have a great rest of your week, friends!

3 comments:

mary said...

my baby is growing up. waaaaaa

tibbah said...

Your welcome! We'll be doing the same in about 3 months or so.
Amy

Unknown said...

Ahhh! So fun! Looks like you have a good eater there. :) We love BLW too. Sooo easy! :)

Popular Posts