Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

10 years of Valentines Days: Then and Now


Headed to our annual couple's retreat this weekend


Nate and I celebrated our first Valentine's Day together 10 years ago. I remember it like yesterday though. We were in a long-distance relationship and he had sent me a box of presents. We video chatted so we could open our presents in front of each other. The main thing he had gotten me was an adorable little bear from build-a-bear that he had made himself, and put a recording of his voice in it so I could hear him anytime I wanted. It was so romantic and thoughtful and I was over the moon for him. That is exactly what our love looked like back then. It was thoughtful and sweet and romantic, full of hours of words spoken on the phone every day about how we felt about each other. We talked about the future, and we couldn't wait to get married and spend the rest of our lives together.


 I knew he was going to be a great husband. I also was pretty positive that he was going to be an amazing dad. One thing, however, that I didn't really expect was the great team would we would become over the years. A few weeks ago before we left for vacation, we were working together side-by-side without many words being spoken between us. I was lining things up to go out the door, preparing snacks and dinner for when we were in the car, and he was loading everything up. The occasional,  "did you pack this charger? Can you throw this in the blue bag?" was said, but other than that we were all business as we tried to get out the door. The kids and dog were underfoot and the baby was starting to get fussy because he was hungry. 
 To view it  from the outside couldn't have looked any further from romance, but in our hearts we could hear the unspoken words: I love you. You are my best friend and even though we can't say it right now, there is no one I would rather do life with than you. 
 That's what our love looks like now. Yes, we have plenty of romantic moments, but just Less Build-a-bear and more Building-our-marriage on the strongest foundation of all: Jesus Christ. 
 Parenting is no joke. It's completely exhausting and overwhelming a lot of the time. When I'm nursing the baby and he's corralling the other 3, and then without exchanging a word, I hand him the baby and pick up where he's left off with the older kids, I'm so thankful to be doing life as a team with my best friend.


Happy Valentines Day!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your post! This is my first valentine's day in the dating world and I don't have a date. This post reminded me that one day it will happen. Thank you for the look into your life. It is always a blessing to be able to look forward to a life like yours. I know it isn't perfect, but it gives me hope! Thanks again!!!!

Popular Posts