Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Nathan Robert Enters the World

We arrived at the hospital at 5:30am and I stood outside for one last belly picture at 39 weeks 2 days. :) We went in, waited around (of course), got checked in and paperwork filled out and finally over an hour later headed upstairs to our room. 

When we got into our room I changed into the flattering and beautiful hospital gown, answered a million medical history questions, got poked twice with that awful IV needle and generally felt nervous, anxious and excited to meet our baby soon! Nate got ready to text updates to everyone who would want them and we waited a little longer.
I was SO blessed that my Mom made it for the birth and had also asked my sister-in-law to be a part of this day as well. They were both awesome to have there to talk to and hear labor experiences from before mine started. Between us there had been 16 births so we had lots to talk about. :)
Before she broke my water, my midwife checked me and I was dilated to almost 5 centimeters and 70% effaced. This made me SO happy as I had been 3 cm for 3 weeks, and just a few days before was still the same. I was feeling like I may be going into labor on my own in the next few days (just pretty strong braxton hicks and the baby had become less active) and I guess I was right--stuff was definitely happening!
At 8:20am she broke my water and after the baby was monitored for a little while, I was able to walk the halls with the portable monitor to help get things going. At that point my stomach felt very tight and slightly crampy, but not labor yet. 
Seeing the crib all set up and the little hat with the diaper in it is SO encouraging, reminding you of the end in sight :)

I walked the halls for about 30-40 minutes and started contractions around 9 that I could still easily walk and talk through. Around 9:30am they picked up but didn't get closer together. At 10:00am I would say that I was in very active labor, but still having good 2-3 minute breaks between each contraction. During that time I was sitting on the birth ball and rocking. Here I am giving my focal point (the swirly threads on the the bed ;) quite the stare down! ;)
I was very thankful for the refresher videos I had watched and was able to deeply breathe through each contraction. Joanna showed Nate an awesome counter pressure on my hips and that really helped take the edge off of that sharp pain. 
Anyway, from 10-10:30 I labored really strong but kept waiting for it to get "Bad". The contractions were bad but not on top of each other and very sporadic. I was shaking and feeling nauseous so I thought that I should get checked just to know where I was at, even though I still felt like it wasn't getting really awful yet.
At 10:40am I was 6cm, 100% effaced and the head was very low. "With the way you go, I would say about 30 minutes", my widwife said. I stood up from being checked and immediately felt the "I can't do it anymore" contractions so I knew the end was in sight. My Mom noticed the difference and suggested I stay standing to help the baby move down quickly. Minutes later I had a very strong urge to push but could tell it wasn't time yet. 
Probably 10 minutes after that my midwife looked at me and said, "Do you want to push your baby out?" (Best words ever to a laboring woman!)
With all my babies, pushing has been such a relief, but also hurt worse each time because they've gotten bigger each time. With Joe and Nathan I asked for a mirror to be able to watch my babies enter the world and help me push more effectively. I sat on the bed and pushed for about 5 minutes, and at 11:06am my Nathan Robert was born! Feeling a tiny human's body wiggle out of you is a feeling I cannot describe, a feeling I can never forget. The most amazing thing was when I reached down and "caught" him and scooped him right up into my arms. I had read about this just a few days before and loved the idea. It was SO special! The emotion captured in this picture is amazing--I'm so thankful my Joanna took all these pictures for me! I love that I have now experienced 3 natural labors. I'm alert and feel everything and even though it is no fun it is truly incredible.

My sisters were on the phone, listening as he came into the world which is why my Mom is holding 2 phones. I LOVE these pictures--they make me cry!
Happy tears!


When they weighed him and said he was 8lb, 11oz, my jaw dropped. I was told by 3 of my Dr's in the past month no more than 7 1/2 pounds, maybe less! I don't know how he fit in there! :)


My sweet, sweet midwife
Joanna and I--I am so glad she got to be there. (Nathan was ready to eat ;)
His first picture with Nonnie! Having the quiet support and presence of my Mom during labor means SO much to me, and having her here for these few weeks while I'm recovering has been wonderful. I don't know what I would do without her!
Heading to get a bath!


My in-laws watched our kids for us and it was so nice to know they were in good hands and I didn't have to worry about them! They brought the kids up later that evening to meet their new brother and they were in love right away. :)

I'm still trying to get used to the idea that I have 3 kids now. I am blessed beyond measure!
After 2 wonderful days in the hospital :), I got Nathan all dressed up to go home. Since then I've been taking it easy, cuddling and snuggling a lot and enjoying my "time off". :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wonderful story, Jenna!! So glad things went smoothly and that you were able to catch the baby...how special! :) :) :) Everyone looked sooo ecstatic too, I love how your mom comes. What a special day. Congrats again...he is beautiful! :)

Jubilena said...

Your story brought tears to my eyes! It brought memories too. My births have been SOOOO much like yours. ~Only I never tried catching mine. It's a nice idea... I could have done it this last time but I didn't think quick enough. (I didn't even get to push... she just came!) Maybe next time.

You are surely blessed.

PS. By the way, your mother is as beautiful as ever!

Pollock Family said...

Congratulations, What a beautiful post of a beautiful family!!

raising4princesses said...

I don't even know you but I was crying reading your birth story and seeing your wonderful pictures. Thanks so much for sharing this. I found you through my wonderful friend Jolene's blog! following you now! Maria in Jamaica http://caribbeanmissionarywife.blogspot.com/

Deb said...

He is SO sweet Jen! Your birth story made me tear up! Missing you all a lot!

Jolene said...

Loved reading this!!! I'm so glad that Joanna was able to be there with you... she and I have shared lots of fun birthing stories together, since we've had several to compare. :-) If I ever have another baby, I want to be sure that she or you tells my hubby how to dull some of that pain! You smart girls!

Been lovin' catching up on you and your sweet family.... All caught up now and amazed how much little Nathan is already growing. Sleep well tonight, my friend!

Popular Posts