Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

The best Sandwiches in the World


Ok, so you might not think so, but when I saw a recipe for "Roasted Red Pepper, Eggplant and Ricotta sandwiches with Pesto" I knew I had to try them.

You'll Need:
 Some kind of ciabatta or sub roll
 1 Eggplant
 1-2 roasted red peppers
 Ricotta Cheese
 Pesto
 Olive Oil
 Salt and Pepper



I sliced the eggplant very thin, brushed it with olive oil on both sides, sprinkled with salt and pepper and grilled them in the broiler. Then I opened a jar of roasted red peppers and put them on the plate. It was cheaper than buying them fresh!
 You can use any bread you want, but I bought a multigrain sub roll, brushed it with olive oil and toasted it in the broiler.
 Spread pesto on one side (later, I added it on the other side because it needed more!)
 Layer on eggplant...
 Smear the eggplant with ricotta cheese. Don't skimp! (I used 2% because it's less fat)
 Place your beautiful roasted red peppers so they can pose pretty for their picture...
 Close, and enjoy!
 My kids loved it...
 ... as you can see :)
Nate and I loved them too. They were bursting with so much flavor and very healthy! Of course, to make it lower calorie, use low fat pesto, low fat ricotta (low fat milk products are just made with low fat milk--it's not chemicals!) and less olive oil. However, you want to get olive oil as a healthy fat, so measure to make sure you're getting your daily amount needed. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Claire said...

Thanks for posting this! Can't wait to make them! We got bags of peppers at the stand yesterday so I need to use them!

anna said...

That looks like a good healthy lunch!

Deb said...

One Word...YUM =)

Jubilena said...

Looks good to me too! I was looking for an eggplant sandwich recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Popular Posts