Pages

Friday, April 18, 2008

Don't Whine, SHINE!!!

My husband recently told me that I am very negative and always look at the down side of situations. I told him thanks and that he was right and then really began to notice for myself how whiny I really am! It was hard to take because I like to think of myself as a happy, upbeat person, but I don't come across that way when I am always complaining about the one minute, tiny, bad thing in a circumstance. I know how much I despise negative people, and I hate to thing that people would feel the same way about me!
I listen to Dr. Laura and she has recently written a book called, "Stop whining, start living." If you listen to her I am sure you have heard of it. It's a book that I am going to invest a little money and time into.

(Disclaimer: I know that she is not Christian, but her opinions are RIGHT and morally based. If you don't believe me, read one of her other books "The proper care and feeding of husbands," and you will see that the principle of it runs all through the Bible on the way that wives should treat their husbands.)

Anyway, back to the whining.
When we were younger we had this little contest one time that my dad did with us. He picked out our main weakness and we couldn't "do it" for a week. I remember now--mine was complaining! So this is something that I have been sinning in (not struggling with--it's a sin) for pretty much my whole life!
I am really working on it. I am trying so hard to look at the bright side of everything, and have even got a compliment from my hubby once for it! :) The feeling of opening my mouth to whine and the shutting it is fabulous (when it happens) and I know that it's God helping me get the victory!

And I thank God for an honest husband! I wonder if I would have gone through life being a true whiner if it were not for him! Praise the Lord.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

It is good to have husbands who will point out the truth! I don't always have the sweetest attitude about the truth that's been pointed out, but it sounds like you had a great attitude!

Anonymous said...

The things our husbands have to do! A gentle reprimand from my loving man is the most humbling thing ever. I really don't envy his responsibilities as head of the home!

And I'm with you, Jenna... two of the first Bible verses my mom had me memorize as a child were Numbers 11:1 and 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Christina said...

i can still hear your dad saying that! i think it was one of his fav sayings!;-)

Anonymous said...

Jenna that's great! Not the whining but dealing with it.=)(What a good guy you have.:)
I couldn't help but grin alittle reading this... Sounds so familiar.WHY do I whine about the tiniest stuff that DOESN'T EVEN MATTER anyway?? I appreciate the challenge to quit whining and start shining! ~Amy

Popular Posts