Pages

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

I Love "Firsts!"

I love all of Brooklynne's firsts. I don't love them as much when they are not the way I expected.

For example, eating spaghetti out of a can is blasphemous to the Italian people, and that is not something that I do on a regular basis. Come to think of it, that is something that I never do (unless it's free).

My daughter ate her first macaroni and sauce yesterday--a big milestone for Italian babies. I mean, this is a big one: pictures, video camera, memories of the little cute face splattered with tomato sauce.

Hers was out of a can.


I do have a reason, though and I can explain. I was grocery shopping yesterday and they were handing out samples of these frozen meals and one was spaghetti and sauce. I gave Brooke a few bites, and when she started screaming uncontrollably when it was gone, I figured she was hungry since she hadn't eaten at lunch.



When your kid is screaming her head off at the store and you feel like everyone is staring at you, you have to get out of there fast or else take care of the problem.

So I am literally flying to the baby aisle, grab a container of "Spaghetti and meatballs", pop it open, leave the saucy lid on the shelf for someone else to pick up and proceed to stuff it in her mouth.



Relieved that she has finally shut up, more relieved that I was somewhere that they sold food, taking deep breath's and forcing my heart rate to go down. Not the way I imagined her first experience with the most famous and delicious food to the Italian people.



Thankfully she didn't eat all of it, so we were still able to experience the tradition when I got home in a very "Med-i-gaan" (broken English for "American") sort of way. We got the cute picture and took a video that will bore us to death in a few years when we watch it.



I have to admit that she loved it, so I can't imagine how it will be when she tries Mommy's for the first time--or grandma's, or great grandma's and grandpa's for that matter!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww she is just WAY too cute!

Christina said...

lol I can just see you runninfg through the store with her!!! it has jenna all over it! lol but I prob would have done the same thing!

Unknown said...

That's a GREAT story... especially the saucy lid.

Felicia said...

LOL! that story is too funny. I love it though! I've had my share of running out of the store with screaming kids too. :P Good idea with the food!

Anonymous said...

Don't worry as soon as she tastes Mommy's or Aunts or Grandma's or Great Grandma's sauce she will probably refuse to ever eat it out of a can again!!! You should put a video of her "uh-oh" on here!!!

Jenna said...

I know--that's my next post

Liz said...

That's pretty cute...

Anonymous said...

That's such a funny story, though I'm sure you weren't laughing when it happened! Nothing is more stressful than your child screaming in public! :-) Good job for figuring it out so quickly. I'd have been staring at her in the cart thinking, "Wow, she must have really liked that sample. She's so sad it's gone!" :-)

Anonymous said...

too funny!

Popular Posts