Pages

Friday, September 2, 2011

Creating Beautiful Spaces: The Heart of the Home

Some of you can interior decorate in your sleep. I, on the other hand, take years to hang a simple picture on the wall. 6 months to get the picture printed, another 6 to buy a frame, and another year to hang it. I am serious--my friends can attest to this.

Well, I've had enough of my bare walls, naked windows and boring spaces. I want them to be beautiful, and I don't want to spend a lot of money while I'm doing it.

Here is my kitchen before. I didn't have much wall space to work with, so decided to do something simple above the refrigerator. 
and tada...after! Simple but lovely. A call to eat with a huge fork to emphasize it. Creative, right? I wish I could take the credit for the idea, but I can't. I still love it anyway. We bought cheap, wooden (or more like cardboard) letters and painted them red and the big fork was 50% off at Hobby Lobby.

Before: Secondly was my sad little area above my table. Does this welcome you to eat? Make you want to be there? No.
After: But this, on the other hand. A fat little man holding a huge plate of spaghetti and meatballs? I'll take some right now, please. 
I didn't want the focus to be on the curtains so I just bought a simple valance. The picture was also 50% off at Hobby Lobby--score!
Before: I can't stand cluttered counters one bit. But I wanted to tie in the "fat chef" theme with something simple...
After: cookie jar from a friend and a candle that I will never burn (ha) from another friend! So, this one was free for me. Thanks, friends.
Before: The cookie jar was on this counter, which was cute but I had some other stuff that would go good there...
After: A friend had also bought me the plate and little jar, but I never got a stand to set the plate on. Who knew they were $2.99? Since it was the only thing not on sale, I used my 40% off coupon on the plate stand. Hey, I love saving pennies. Looks classier now, I think ;)

I hope this wasn't too horribly boring for you. Next up is my playroom and living room and next year I'm going to work on my bedroom.

2 comments:

Deb said...

Such creativity =)

Unknown said...

Your home is looking really cute! Good job on the decorating...it really doesn't take much to make a space look homey and comfortable. :)

Popular Posts