Pages

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Our First Fourth

This was the very first year in the history of our little family that we spent the 4th of July together doing the whole shebang-- parade, fireworks and a fun meal. It's not that we didn't want to, it's just that we're usually away for our anniversary, or it fell on a Wednesday when we have church. Anyway, I was more than excited to make this a big deal for our kids this year. America has it's faults which are not going away any time soon, but we have an amazing history and heritage and that is something to celebrate. Besides, who can resist an excuse for a family day?!

We started out our morning with a small town parade. It was sunny and hot but right up my alley--I grew up a small town country girl and that will never leave me. It wasn't anything big, just an old fashioned, down to earth parade. It was the kids first and they were thrilled to come home with a huge bag of candy!






We did some shopping, and then came home for a relaxing afternoon. The kids helped me make a fun flag cake (which I managed to make sugar free and it was still delicious!), they swam, and watched a documentary about the declaration of Independence with Nate while I cooked dinner.


Grilled chicken, tomato pie and strawberry lime water. Throw in leftover red Christmas napkins and straws and it's an easy, patriotic meal!

After dinner, we headed out for more fun--fireworks! Our small town puts on a great show. There were bouncy houses for the kids to play in while we waited and, best of all, a beautiful cool breeze as the sun went down. It was a gorgeous night and I loved being in a big open field with hundreds of people dressed in our nation's colors and wearing them proudly. 


I was holding Nathan and not able to get the best pictures of the fireworks (I would need a tripod for that) but I did enjoy what I got because it's the memories that count! Our families first fourth was a huge success and I can't wait to do it again next year! 

 God bless America--and may America bless God!

0 comments:

Popular Posts