Pages

Friday, December 2, 2011

Shopping, Waffles and Vikings

Thanksgiving weekend 2011 will always be very special to us. Visiting Nate's side of the family is rare--as in, they've never met our kids. This year we wanted to make a little effort to take a road trip to visit them for the holiday. 

The supposed to be 16 hour trip took 18 on the way there, because of awful traffic, but here are the kids after about 12 hours of it! As you can see, they did great! 

 Grandpa P. uses a magnifying glass a lot, and the kids loved it.
 Ahh...Thanksgiving "eve". There is something so cozy about the eve of any winter holiday. After we put the kids to bed, I curled up with dark chocolate...
 ...and my man and we watched a movie together. One thing that was great about this trip was that Nate's parents went as well, meaning we had free babysitting a lot. We took advantage, maybe a little more than we should have ;), but it was so nice!
 After our huge Thanksgiving feast, we walked to the park with the kids. It was unseasonably warm that day, but nothing like Texas, so I was happy! My kids got to play in leaves for the first time in their little lives!
 Me and my little "pumpkin" on Thanksgiving! (25 weeks). Throughout the trip, I felt great and my back didn't really bother me until halfway through the drive home! That was amazing!
 Headed shopping on Black Friday! We don't get up super early to get all the crazy lines and door busters, but I do like Christmas shopping on that day. Something about the first day of the Christmas season that's so festive and fun! The great thing is, I got a lot of good deals and almost got all of my shopping done!
 Joey kept us very entertained on the trip. He is a riot--I don't know how else to put it. He talks constantly in full, clear-as-day sentences, (When your almost 90 year old grandparents understand 99% of what he says, you know it's clear!) and he is truly hilarious. He is exactly, 100% like my dad. I just hope he preaches like him someday! What a dream come true that would be!
 Nate's Mom and her parents are very strongly Danish and we were able to visit a windmill that was brought over from Denmark in pieces and re-assembled. The gift shop was fun too--look at those little vikings! :)
 One day, we drove a few hours to meet my Father-in-laws Mom and sister for lunch. They were so sweet, and I was disappointed we didn't get to spend more time with them!
 Saturday evening tradition: Grandpa makes waffles.
 They. Were. Delicious. (I'm typing this before breakfast and could really go for some right now!)
That completes my phone pictures while we were there. Thankfully the ride home seemed much shorter than the first one, although Nate and I didn't really sleep at all through the night (he was driving, so that was a good thing!). We got home at 6am, put the kids right to bed and we all crashed for about 4 hours. Let's just say we all slept really good the next night!
 I am so thankful we got to make this trip and that my kids got to meet their other great grandparents. I don't know if we'll make it there again, so these memories will last us forever!

1 comments:

Julia said...

Looks like you guys had an AWESOME trip! That must have been do nice that the kids were good for the long car drive!!!
Well I will see you in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait!!!
Love ya~

Popular Posts