Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

This really irks Me


Something has really irked me since I became a Mom.


It's these people who think that taking care of yourself goes out the window once you have a baby. They talk about not having the time to shower for days, and once you do get in there, don't even think about shaving your legs--takes to long. You have to chop your hair off because you won't have time to blow dry it, straighten or curl it. Your life revolves around your baby, diaper changes, feedings and spit up. When you have a little free time you just want to sleep.


I agree that having a newborn is one of the most consuming jobs. While mine was very calm and content, there were several times that I had to let her cry it out before she eventually went to sleep. I would cry in bed listening to her. Nursing obviously takes a while to get used to and is very painful. I was up every 3 hours at night feeding her (although I know that is very good; some Mom's are up a lot more) and needless to say I was exhausted pretty much all the time.

HOWEVER. That did not stop me from taking a shower, shaving and doing my hair. There is no reason that people don't have time to do that--I'm sorry. I have never been one to spend forever on my hair or makeup, but I like to nice and presentable every day. Do I want my husband to come home to a frumpy housewife when he's seen hot blond bombers (aka pretty women) all day? He understands if I don't look perfect, but I want to look pretty for him, ready with a smile, kiss and a nice meal.


My Mom has 9 kids. Not one day goes by that she does not shower, shave, blow dry and curl her hair and put on her makeup. She doesn't take long, but that proves to me that it can be done, even with several kids.


Whew. It feels good to get that off of my chest.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN SIS I have to agree with every word, although I am not a mom so what can I say except that I have the best example with our mom who always always takes care of herself and looks good!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jen, I have to agree! I never understood those women who said they couldn't do ANYTHING now that they had a newborn! Sure, it's exhausting, but life goes on! :-) Good for you for keeping up on being a wife even though you're also a mom!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you too. I have practically two babies and although it was a little challenging right at first after my second was born, I think too that it is important to look good every day and I have time. Could be that baby reigns? Or maybe it is because of not being around little ones?

Christina said...

well said dear:-)

Liz said...

Good job Jen!

Victoria said...

Amen, Jenna!! I've been a bit busy lately, so I just am getting caught up here. You know - even with a son in the hospital, I made sure I did my make-up most every day and at least brushed my hair and tried to look the best I could considering the circumstances.

Well said, can't add to it. You are a great example to new moms!

Popular Posts