Pages

Friday, March 14, 2008

Pita Chips and Hummus

Eating healthy isn't just to lose weight, it's a lifestyle for me. I'm constantly searching for new recipe's and creative ways to eat delicious food that is healthy. Hummus is a great snack that I started on when I was pregnant. It's basically mashed up chick peas--which, I hate plain but I love them mashed. You can make it and it's much cheaper. So far I have bought it when it's on sale. I like the spicy 3 pepper and the roasted red pepper flavors.
I was in my 9th month and my friend gave me some to try for the first time. Since then I've really liked it to eat with veggies or on pita's and today I made pita chips to eat with it for lunch.

Here's what I did:
Cut a pita pocket (whole wheat) open and into wedges
Spread with olive oil (just a small amount so that the spices will stick)
Sprinkle with salt, onion powder and garlic powder and broil for 2-3 minutes until nicely toasted.
Turn over and stick back in for a minute or so to toast the other side.
Dip in hummus and enjoy! I had a spinach salad on the side with it and it was a delicious lunch!

You can always experiment with different seasonings like Italian, basil or something Cajun. You might want a little more exciting chip if you have a garlic hummus.

Bon Appetite!

2 comments:

Felicia said...

That's really funny that you posted this today...b/c this is one of the things we made to serve in the Israel room tonight! Rachel made all the hummus (SO good!) and they were serving it with the pita chips! (we had leftover pitas from the falafuls we served wed night) YUMMY!

Anonymous said...

That is really funny that you made it the same day we were serving it to 500 people and you probably had NO idea either! I hadn't EVER heard of it before Rachel made it that one day at her house to test it out for the Israel room. I really like it, as long as you have it with a pita chip!! I don't think I could eat it plain:).

Popular Posts