Pages

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving is a Choice!

I hope that you enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving! This year we celebrated at my house again with Nate's family. My sister-in-laws family from MO was here also and so they ate and spent the day with us. We had about 15 people and way too much fun! I love having big parties at my house because it reminds me of growing up. Our house was always full of people and we loved it! It wasn't rare for us to have 20-40 people over on a Sunday after church. My Mom was amazing in this area and my dad always helped her out with the food too. I guess then I didn't realize what a big job it was and I wish I would have helped my Mom out a little more. Anyway, I'm off on a bunny trail.
The Wednesday night before Thanksgiving, Brother Kaighen (Joanna's dad) preached a very convicting message called, "Thanksgiving is a choice." To me, even the title was convicting. How often we go about our every day lives choosing (absentmindedly) to be unthankful! He talked about how important it is for us to be positive, happy, thankful people ALL the time. He ended with this illustration: Tonight, when you go home, think of what is most important to you in this life--something that you treasure. Your spouse? Your family? Your church? Whatever it is, think of how much you love and appreciate your treasure and how much that means to you. Then, think of what it would be like to have it taken away. And really think about it. I think of the anguish that I would go through if my best friend, my husband, were to be taken away from me and the turmoil that I would experience of not having his steady, guiding hand to help me through every day life, loving me unconditionally. Now, what can you do to show more appreciation for that person, your treasure? If it were taken away, would you regret not being grateful to them and expressing your gratefulness to your treasure?
I wanted to write that down before I forgot about it. I hope that we all learn to be more thankful and grateful to God for what he has done for us and to others and what they give to us each day. Thanksgiving is a choice, so choose it each day!

2 comments:

Sara N. Smith said...

How I continually need to be reminided to be grateful in all situations....good and bad! I'm so thankful for the Lord's mercy...He is good!

Victoria said...

We told our kids the same thing - almost - on Thanksgiving morning. You sometimes aren't grateful for something until you don't have it anymore! I try to thank my husband often for who he is and what he does. But, I know I'm not nearly as thankful as I ought to be for so many things!

Popular Posts