Pages

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Our 2014 Christmas

We filled our home with friends and family on Christmas Eve, a tradition I would love to keep for The Christmases we stay here. After the last of them left, we gave the kids the one present they were allowed to open--Christmas pajamas--and tucked them in for the night.
 Nate and I cleaned the kitchen together and once we were done, I pulled out the bags of stocking stuffers that were hidden away and started to stuff. Hair ties, socks, undies, peanut butter trees and matchbox cars. I was completely exhausted by this time, but the sheer excitement of the kids opening everything the next morning was enough adrenaline to keep me awake for a few more hours, not wanting to go to sleep.

It was in this moment that I realized I am my Mother.

 Of course, I couldn't have picked up on any of her other amazing abilities and character, but one thing I did pick up on: I love me some Christmas. Everything about it. Buying things throughout the year at great deals, keeping it stuffed in bags in my closet for months, wrapping them and piling things under the tree, stuffing stockings to the brim and wearing a smile for the entire day of December 25th. Christmas, I have discovered, is so much better as a Mom. The joy of giving, seeing their faces, the twinkly lights, wrapping paper everywhere and most of all, celebrating Jesus....I just can't get enough of it.


We always start our morning out with reading Luke 2, just like my dad always did with us.


Brooke really wanted an American Girl Doll, but there was no way I could or would spend that much on a doll. I found an amazing deal on Felicity off Craigslist a few months ago, and she was so surprised--I even got a few tears. Priceless!
Nicolas slept through most of his first Christmas morning, but did manage to wake up in time for stockings. 


Mommy got a new lens... ;)

Surrounded by brand new toys, and all they want is each other. This.

Happy First Christmas to my Nicolas Picolas Pie!


There is something about Christmas morning that requires a big breakfast. We grew up on it at my grandparents every year, another tradition that is carried on. I love tradition--old and new. I love taking bits and pieces of my childhood and fitting them together with new traditions that we create to make the perfect memories for our own little family.
 Quiche, hashbrowns, snowmen pancakes and cinnamon rolls. We go all out for Jesus' birthday!

We Facetimed my family and grandparents, and once again I was so thankful for technology. Getting to see my Mom's face as the kids opened gifts, and saying Merry Christmas face to face to my grandparents from thousands of miles away is so special! 
 Nate's Mom prepared a delicious Christmas dinner at her house and we ended our day watching The Muppet Christmas Carol. We arrived home stuffed, exhausted and completely happy.

 The day after Christmas, I tried like 10 times to start cleaning the house. Somehow I always ended up on the floor, playing a game with the kids or curled up on the couch with a cup of coffee watching them play.



Last night was early bed time and this morning, early rising again for school. Back to work for me and back to our usual routines and schedules. My tree and all of my decorations are still up, and I'm still listening to Christmas music because I'm not quite ready to say goodbye for the year, but they'll come down soon just in time for the next big holiday... my birthday!!
 Ha, just kidding. 

 I hope you all had a lovely and memorable holiday season. I'm still mulling over New Years resolutions, but I do have 2 words for this year to share with you soon.

1 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

Carley was dying for a Bitty Baby. Like you, there was just no way! I hated to disappoint her. I searched Craigslit and Ebay with no good luck. Boo. But she LOVES twins. I found the most adorable twins at Walmart for $20 for both. Haha She was absolutely thrilled with them. However, she probably would've cried over Bitty Baby. ha! I explained to her beforehand that she wouldn't get one and why, though, unless that was ALL she wanted to get for Christmas. Anyway, great photos. Glad you guys are doing well!

Popular Posts