Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Thanksgiving

I think every Thanksgiving since we've been married has been a little bit different, depending on what church events are going on and which family members are in town. While I don't always prefer changes at the holidays, I try to embrace them and enjoy whatever we end up doing, even if it's not "tradition". I get a little too focused on tradition and keeping everything the same, but sometimes change is good. It's fun, fresh, and allows for new traditions and memories.

Nate and I started out our day running a 5k, which was a lot of work, I mean, fun! I couldn't have done it without him! :)



Breaking bread for the stuffing the night before, a tradition we will keep no matter what.


Our first meal of the day was spent at a friends house. There were lots of kids and lots of food!

Our lovely hostess
Gorgeous nephew
His first Thanksgiving at 8.5 months old!





This year, my sister and brother-in-law got to stay with us for Thanksgiving which was SO special and fun. My sister and I baked together for 2 days and the guys smoked the turkey. We ate this meal later at night, and it was so delicious.
Kids table (see their little toilet paper roll turkeys? :)
This plate is very traditional to what we had growing up--turkey, homemade stuffing (best recipe ever), green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, mashed potatoes, Grands Flaky biscuits (we grew up on homemade bread, so the canned were a treat for us!), cranberry sauce and gravy. The sparkling grape juice and my grandma's beautiful china that I was given completed the meal. 
I was so happy and thankful that they were here--we had a great time together! One thing I've learned in my life is that friends come and go, but family remains. They will always be my #1 best friends!
My little pumpkin
Later on, my in-laws came over for dessert and brought a few of our nieces and nephews so the kids could play. As you can see, my sister and I got a little out of control with the desserts but that's how we roll.
We didn't get a family picture until after Nathan went to bed and we were exhausted from eating so much, but this frumpy picture is better than nothing I guess. ;)
This year, as with every year, I have so much to be Thankful for. It's sad what tiny situations come up in life that distress me, when in the big scheme of things, I have nothing to complain about. I have a beautiful, healthy family, an amazing Pastor and church, all my needs and most of my wants met and a loving, wonderful God who has saved me from Hell. If that doesn't make me get up every morning and shout Hallelujah, I don't know what will!
I hope you all are enjoying this beautiful holiday season! I can't believe another year has almost come and gone. Make every moment count!

2 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

Awww, looks like a very nice Thanksgiving! We have something different going on every year, too. It's always different, but at least it keeps it from being boring! Also, we had pine cone turkeys for the kids. ;)

Mary said...

Looks like so much fun! Glad CLaire and Greg got to be there :).

Popular Posts