Pages

Thursday, December 13, 2012

9 Months...and Enjoying

Somewhere in the hustle and bustle of the week after Thanksgiving, Nathan turned 9 months old. A pretty big milestone in my book--farther away from baby, and closer to toddler, no matter how hard I try to make the time slow down. He's scooting (or army crawling) everywhere now with signs that he'll soon be crawling. Being the laid back little guy that he is, he has shown almost no interest in the Christmas tree. He loves the tile floors and loves to crawl on them more than carpet, which (real Mom confession here) usually leaves him filthy because my floors really need to be mopped. Well, that and the fact that he still spits up constantly, and then mops is up with his stomach as he scoots over it. Needless to say, he goes through many outfits a day.


His eyes are still blue, although they are always changing shades and I'm thinking they might soon be brown or green. Thankfully, we have a lot of pictures of my blue-eyed boy if or when My brown genes decided to come through. He eats 3 meals a day, picks up small pieces of food with 2 fingers (cheerios, cheese, fruits) and generally seems to like everything. There have been a few things that he didn't like, but I offered them to him each meal for an entire day until he ate it up, and from then on has always eaten that particular food. 
I read an article in parenting magazine about "picky eaters" and how they are "made, not born". It said continually offering your kids a variety of fruits and veggies and not even keeping junk in the house will help them to not be picky. With that in mind, I kept offering, and proved the article right! :)
 Nathan is still very sweet, laid back and happy. However, he has definitely shown us his opinion when he doesn't like what is going on at the moment. We're working on that!

Anyway, on to some Christmas cheer. I still haven't finished decorating my house, so I'm pretty resolved to the fact that how it is now is how it will stay. The thought of putting something up now and taking it down in 3 weeks seems like a waste to me, so it is what it is.

 We did silver and red for the tree this year, with a few of our sentimental ornaments thrown in (mostly from my Mom. I'm really bad about buying ornaments).


I'm a stickler about not listening to Christmas music until Thanksgiving because I get burnt out on it, but now that the Christmas season is in full swing, Pandora is on almost constantly.
I did my mantle simply this year, for lack of motivation and time to do anything extravagant. The photo season has been crazy, and with a wedding thrown in on December 1st, most of my time has been spend at my computer editing sessions--in between school, feeding kids and trying to keep up with the house somewhat. A little garland with some red bulbs stuck in seemed like a perfect solution.
Nate brought home this beautiful real wreath that was shipped from Colorado. It smells amazing!
I still don't have a stocking for Nathan. Maybe we'll just give him Buddy's.
My manger has not survived too well, but we still have Joseph, (who is really a Shepherd that got promoted), Mary, Jesus, a wise man and a few animals. Oh well. At least we still have the most important person and the reason for the season in there!
When it was certain we weren't going home for Christmas, I had visions of a quiet, easy Christmas season with time to relax, spend time with friends, walk around to see lights, bake until my little heart was content a and assemble some pretty cool pinterest crafts for the kids. 
 That has not been the case. I have baked one batch of cookies (with friends, in which we were doing too much talking and too little baking ;), we've gone on one walk to see lights, and we've had one dinner with friends. My $3 clearance gingerbread house from last year is still sitting in the box. It's been busier than I even remember, so I'm consciously trying to enjoy it. Even if we are running to practices and parties, the radio is still blaring Christmas music and there are lights everywhere we look. It was only one batch of cookies, but the kids had a blast cutting them out, and I had a great time spending time with the girls. Maybe it will slow down, maybe it won't. Whatever the case, I'll find time here and there to do our projects, and if not, I'll know that I did the best I could to enjoy the season. :) Hope you are enjoying yours as well!

2 comments:

Mar said...

OH, I just want to eat him right up!! I miss him sooooo much!!! Glad your making fun Christmas memories!

Jubilena said...

hmmm, Jenna, I think that magazine about picky children being made not born seems pretty true in our case as well: people have been pretty surprised at what my children insist that they actually LIKE! I had a suspicion that "most picky eaters are made and not born" is the case though I haven't read anybody else's thoughts on the issue. I have sometimes wondered if what the mom eats during pregnancy helps to determine what a child will like later on but I don't have time to make serious research on that either.
All children will have SOME things they don't like ~ but that usually shows up later it seems to me. I do have a little person who doesn't really care for potatoes ~mashed or baked and she never has even though I have offered them over and over and over again. She will eat them now when hungry but not with relish that I would expect. That anyone with my blood (to say nothing of my husband's blood) in their veins could NOT like potatoes is a mystery to me. lol. (but in case you are wondering I usually avoid eating a lot of potatoes during my pregnancies~ that being such a starchy food)

Christmas is fast upon us and so I hope you have a wonderful one!

Popular Posts