Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Newtown

Nate an I arrived home late from a party tonight. We thanked our babysitter, got a report on how they were and walked her to the door. The party we went to was for couples--games, lots of food and a fun gift exchange. A normal Christmas activity that I felt guilty enjoying. I came upstairs with tears in my eyes to kiss my sleeping babies. Brookie's hand was over her head and I could see her red and green manicure I gave her earlier. I kissed her cheek, she stirred, and I stepped back to stare at her beautiful face. I glanced at Nathan, his stomach and chest rising and falling with each breath he took, his blue blanket partly over his face how he likes to sleep. Joe turned his head and sighed after I kissed his cheek and I stared at his face a well. It was routine but it was slow motion as I took extra time to take it all in. 40 parents tonight didn't have that priviledge. Their babies were ripped out of their arms today by an evil monster who slaughtered them in cold blood. They kissed them goodbye in the morning, not knowing that the next time they would see them would be to identify their little bodies. The shock, the horror, the anger and the devestation...they are feeling it all, and we are feeling it with them. Our hearts break for you, Mother's, Father's, family and friends of the victims in Newtown.Your children will never be forgotten.

 To those, like me, who are trying to wrap our heads around what those parents are feeling: hug them tighter, kiss them longer, get off the phone, get off the computer, and live life in slow motion. You might not have tomorrow but you have THIS minute. Take it all in.

3 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

There are just NO words. :(

Unknown said...

I was in tears yesterday. Riley kept looking at me as if to ask, "Why are you hugging me so tight, Mommy?" I cannot begin to imagine what those mothers and fathers are dealing with. My prayers are certainly with them.

Unknown said...

I still am in shock. Definitely hugging mine a bit closer...sure brings things into perspective.

Popular Posts