Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

I Love Me Some New Yorkers

When I first got married and moved away from home, one of the hardest things about making new friends was feeling like I couldn't be myself. Not that everyone didn't go out of their way to be nice to me and do their best to make me feel at home, it just wasn't home. 
People here are very different from the people I grew up with. Not a bad different, just different. Every family, close group of friends, community and state has their own culture and I think I was a bit shocked by it all. After almost 6 years living here, I don't think twice about it and I may becoming more Texan than I care to admit.
 However. Get me around my family, ma-girls, the ones I've known since we were practically running around in diapers and the New Yorker in me remembers her roots. That's just a fancy way of saying I get loud, obnoxious, laugh a lot and eat way too much. 
 Last week, I was doing a lot of laughing and a whole lot of eating. One of my best childhood friends, Jessica, and her three blue-eyed-babies came to visit us and it was a total blast!

We dipped ice cream cones in chocolate one night because there was no dessert.
We had a great babysitter.


I made them pose for pictures. Because it's what I do.


They "went hiking." (Pictured with all necessary gear)

They played in the sprinkler when the pool was closed

We started the day off with green smoothies...

...and ended the day with brownies and ice cream. Hey, at least we had good intentions.

We took them to bounce and slide and run their energy off...


And we did something that Texans do in the summer. We spent a lot of time at the pool.





After surviving the week with 6 kids 6 and under, my husband stayed with ALL SIX KIDS (yes, he's amazing) while we had a girls night out.



We ate at my favorite Mexican place here. It's so popular that we waited almost two hours for a table, but this was the view we got to enjoy while waiting and eating chips and salsa. Totally worth it!

Toll House Pie and ice cream is a very fitting way to finish off a girls night out, wouldn't you say?!

On our last day together, we went shopping at the outlet mall with just the girls (and baby :). It was a little bright out, but still a cute picture.

The week was full of precious memories that we will never forget, and best of all, our kids are now close friends just like we were at that age.

Texas is an awesome state full of wonderful people, but I love me some New Yorkers and my life wouldn't be complete without their visits. They make me a very happy girl!

 Happy Weekend!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

It is so great when childhood friends stick with you through the years. Unfortunately, my best childhood friend slipped away from me after I was married...I think it is just because we were so different from each other then. I was married, she was not. I had a baby, she was still waiting for a husband. I am so saddened by this, but I know that while good friends here on earth go separate ways, we will meet again and be good friends in heaven! Good post and I am SO HAPPY that you have such fabulous friends! :) PS- that pie looks awesome! :)

Rebecca said...

So, if you're from New York and you live in Texas now, how did you and your husband meet? That would be a great blog post someday. :)

Mary said...

Looks like you had such a fun time :)

Popular Posts