Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

A New Discovery

I've heard for a while that you can substitute cauliflower for potatoes--mashed, that is. I've just never tried it until now. And let me tell you--it's wonderful! I love recipes that are high in taste and nutrition and low in calories!

Start with a head of cauliflower
Chop it up into pretty good sized pieces--not too small
Put in water and bring to a boil. You will boil it until it's pretty tender, but not too mushy. (About 20 minutes)
In the meantime, take pictures of your sweet little babies who are already in their pajamas...
...And who are helping scrub the floor :). Sorry. Just couldn't resist adding pictures of my sweeties!
When the cauliflower is tender, drain it and add whatever you would to potatoes and mash it the same way. To save on fat and calories, I added about a heaping TB of "I can't believe it's not butter", salt, pepper and garlic powder. You won't need to add milk as cauliflower is a lot more watery than potatoes.
And there you have it! That creamy, buttery side dish that you crave without the extra carbs, fat and calories! It's not as thick and starchy as potatoes, but it kicks that craving for sure. I've had it twice so far this week. Once with chicken, once with fish. YUM!
ENJOY!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I have heard of this too, and have tasted it! It sure is a nice substitute and probably better for you too!

Rachel Barkowski said...

Did you know this is a South Beach diet recipe? I love their recipes...this one for sure! Nice pics of the whole procedure. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow..I should try that sometime!! Never heard of it.

Popular Posts