Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bro. John Bishop

Bro. Bishop has been preaching at our church this week for special meetings. Tonight was actually the last night, and because of my baby being sick and not being able to put her in the nursery I only heard about half of a sermon. My husband has filled me in on a lot. (I love him! :)
Bro. Bishop got spinal meningitis 12 years ago. Now listen to this. He lost all memory of everything. He had to learn how to walk, talk, use the bathroom, read, write...everything. He forgot all that he had ever known, and everyone he had ever known, including who his wife was. When she was trying to explain to him how they were together, she said,
"I am John's and John is mine."
He replied, "so you are my Donna?"
And to this day, 12 years later, he calls her "my Donna."
Sometimes he sounds like a little kid when he preaches. But for the most part, his messages are intelligent, deep and obviously come from a very intimate relationship with God.
He is blind at the time, a part of the cycle of meningitis. 90% of people who go blind because of this will recover. He says he hopes to be in the majority!
I can't imagine going through what he has gone through, and yet he always has a smile and jokes about everything that has happened to him. One time he and his seeing eye dog were in a grocery store. A man came up and asked him what he was doing.
He replied, "oh, we're just looking around." :)
He cracks jokes like that all the time! I have to wonder if I would be wallowing in self pity if that was me? At one point in the sermon, he started to tell about a man, ..."who was having a really, really hard time. Things were just going really bad for him..."
What? I am thinking to my carnal, fleshly, nonspiritual self. How could you even say that someone was going through a really hard time, when you lost your memory and you are now blind? Look at all you have gone through! Basically, he was an infant! And yet because of his close walk with God he is able to say something like that. What an amazing, holy man of God.
His ministry is called, "God is so good ministries" and I'm sure you could look it up online if you wanted to read his whole story. He focuses on ministering to hurting people.
I just know for myself that I have nothing to complain about. My life has been a breeze! I just pray that if I went through a trial like that someday that I would be faithful enough to be like this man that has such great faith!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing!
~~Anna~~

RESONANCE said...

heard the interview at Family Life Today....Powerful Testimony of a family who had their priorities right...so when the storm came they were able to hold on to what was truly important in life. He's such a kind and gentle man today (Only God could mold a person like that) His wife is such a sweet heart who sensitively took care of him for all these years. She basically had to rebuild their lives from scratch....
AMAZING LOVE STORY!!!

Unknown said...

I'm sorry I missed him! He is one of my favorites

Popular Posts