Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Systems & Simplifying

 A few weeks ago, I lay in a crumpled heap on the floor, crying and begging my husband to hire someone to help me around the house for a few hours a week. (Yes, it was quite dramatic) After 2 months of non-stop photo shoots, editing, holiday festivities and close to a month of being sick, my house was in shambles and I was totally overwhelmed with the thought of putting it all back together. I felt like I had lost control of my entire homemaking responsibilities at that point and couldn't stand another second living in the current state. Even trying to begin gave me the overwhelming feeling of shoveling during a blizzard. I know you Moms can relate! 

Thankfully, I started feeling better, things have slowed down, and I've spent the last week starting my "decently and in order" campaign on my house. For a lot of you, I'm sure all of this comes naturally, but it's not my forte'. 6.5 years into marriage, I'm finally getting some of this stuff through my thick skull.




I mentioned before that my main New Years Resolution was to organize, and with that came the realization that a) I need to simplify and to do that b) I need systems. When we moved into this house, I didn't know how detrimental having 3 full bathrooms and 4 large bedrooms with walk-in closets would be to me who had no idea about systems. Cleaning products quickly became spread out between the bathrooms and kitchen, so when it was time to actually clean something, I had to go on a scavenger hunt to find what I needed. I have no totes for the kids outgrown clothes, so they are stacked in laundry baskets and overflowing onto closet floors. 
 A few days into January, we took a family trip to Target and stocked up on totes and plastic buckets for underneath the sinks. This week I've organized 8 bathroom cupboards, which included a lot of throwing away and then creating systems  Towels rolled up in one bucket, rags in another basket, cleaning supplies hanging here, extra toilet paper stacked here. I was also able to tackle my linen closet. It's such a freeing feeling--I think I actually breathe better now. ;)

I'm happy that I have nothing monumental to report at this point. With all of December's craziness, the fact that I've spent a quiet week getting my house in order makes me so happy. Living simply is my goal and when everything has it's place, the house runs much smoother and I don't waste precious time searching for a roll of toilet paper. That makes me happy!

That being said, we have still made the decision to have someone come help me 2 hours a week. I know there are amazing Moms (like my own) who can keep up with their house, cooking and kid duties, home school and run their own business from home, but I can't. I know that this change will give me the extra boost to stay on top of everything!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahh... I've had so many of those moments. I remember asking David how much money I would have to make to have a maid ;) Something clicked recently for me, too, and my house has been consistently neat and I've been fitting in lots of preschool activities, blogging, etc. I don't have "help" two hours a week, but I have the equivalent - parents next door. Such a blessing.

Though we've only met a time or two in real life and I know I can't know everything about you from your blog, I can tell you're a great mom, a godly woman, and a good wife. Even with all that, we're always works in progress aren't we? I'm sure you'll be successful on your "decently and in order" campaign - you seem like you succeed at just about everything you try.

Lauren

The Skinny on Staci said...

LOL, girl, that is funny. I can barely keep my head above water and don't work/run an at-home biz, so I'm sure you do need help! I am Mrs. Organized, seriously. It's the one thing I can truly brag on myself for when allowed. haha My girls have a toybox that isn't allowed to have ANY TOYS except baby dolls and baby doll accessories in it. I bought one of those 12-bin organizers for a kid's room, and each bin has an assigned item that goes in it. It is such a pain to enforce that for about a month, but then the kids GET IT and they can do it on their own and it's WONDERFUL. Been doing it for 5 years now! All the kids' clothes are arranged according to sizes AND seasons. For shoes I have 2 separate totes - winter and summer shoes. This week, I bought a plastic 5-drawer thingy from Walmart (29.99). It's the wide kind, and it fits perfectly in my kids' closet. One drawer for Legos, one for Calico Critters, one for coloring books and crayons, and the top skinny drawers for smaller items. Hey, I even have a "junk bucket" that the kids know to put things that are miscellaneous in. LOL, it's bad! :) But I can't fathom my household running smoothly any other way. All this organization and it's still a mess a lot of the time. Drives me nuts! I don't function well in messes. Glad you are getting some of this stuff done!

Jolene said...

Hey, Jenna! You deserve some help. :-) You're a mama after all - LOL!

One of my all-time favorite blogs that I have been reading for a couple of years now is iheartorganizing.blogspot.com. I love the organizing tips, but I also love her writing style... so positive and happy that it encourages me to find something to organize and whistle while I work!

Ginger said...

Do what you need to do and everything else will fall into place. As a mama with older kids, it does get easier!

Jubilena said...

In our area many young mothers think nothing of getting help. In fact most mothers with older girls often expect to share them with the young mothers of small children ~ or sometimes the mothers with a lot of boys! :)

Jubilena said...

PS. I forgot to add that I have often thought that moms need to be free to be MOM's ~ get help with the house work etc but Mommy needs to be able to freely be Mommy. I am glad you are able to have someone come in!

Tereza said...

There is nothing wrong with a little help!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts