Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Healthy Living Tips #4: Get Movin', Baby!

Healthy living isn't all just about the way you eat. It is just as important to exercise to keep your metabolism going, strengthen your heart, tone and strengthen muscles, shape your body--there are so many positives that come from getting your body up and moving!


 I don't want to make this one of those long, boring articles on exercise, ;) so I'll just give you a few pointers that I've learned over the past 10 years. I started working out when I was 14--running a mile every day--and have constantly been changing it up since then. Besides running, I've done stationary bikes, elliptical machines, treadmill's, aerobics and weight training classes, Pilate's classes, a rebounder and walking. At this point I have my system down pretty good--60 minutes on the elliptical and intervals of strength training every day. I realize that spending 65-70 minutes every day is a lot and not everyone can do that, but you should put yourself first for at least 30 minutes during the day. I do it during my kids nap time and if my daughter doesn't sleep, I tell her she has to stay in her room while Mommy has some time alone so that I can be a better Mommy. :)
 Anyway, here are some tips...


 Beginners:
 Start with walking! Walking is one of the best exercises a person can do. It requires no equipment and it burns calories. It also uses just about every muscle in the body! Start with 10 minutes a day and work up 10 extra minutes a week until you are at 30 minutes a day, 3-5 times a week. Eventually you can add in strength training which will tone specific areas--and it burns longer than cardio so it can boost your metabolism even more!


 If you are already working out:
 Change it up! It's so important to keep your body guessing so that it doesn't get used to the same thing every day. If you are walking a mile in 15 minutes, aim to walk it in 10, or add 10 extra minutes to your work out. Throw in some squats, lunges and push-ups. I've found that the more I switch up my workouts, the better my metabolism is and the more toned I get.


 Don't have a treadmill or elliptical or gym membership?
 Do a workout dvd! There are work out's that can get you started at walking a mile or 2, or there are workouts that will seriously leave you wanting to DIE. :) When the weather is good, take a walk around your neighborhood. I have a double jogger that we use at least 3-4 times a week in the summer, so I'm walking and pushing my kids at the same time which burns even more calories. Either way, anything that get's your heart rate up and gets your body moving is better than sitting on the couch, and it's SO good for you! 

0 comments:

Popular Posts