Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Raising our Children's Hearts

I’ve been a Mom for almost 8 years now and I still have no idea what I’m doing. I try to do my best but fail multiple times a day. 
 So many worries.  Am I doing enough for their education? Are they getting enough nutrition? Are they drinking enough water? When should we do music lessons? What about sports—we have boys, shouldn’t they be in sports as they grow up? I haven’t gone to the library in months, I’m the worst Mom ever.  What about college? We need to start saving now. I never do crafts with the kids and all the cool Moms  on Pinterest are doing crafts. On and on, comparing and wondering if I’m really cut out for this, if I am doing it all wrong.


But here’s the thing that I’m learning: there’s really only one thing that matters in the long run, and that is how we raise their hearts. All the other stuff will fall into place (Matt. 6:33) if we really focus on raising them to love Jesus with their whole heart, mind, soul and strength.

How do we do this?
 Leading by example. Having the closest, truest walk with God that we can, and letting it show. Listening to the Holy Sprit in everything that we do and communing with our Saviour throughout the day. And prayer. Tons and tons of prayer.  Asking God the wisdom, joy, longsuffering and grace to guide their little moldable hearts day in and day out.
Eventually, our children will have to make the decision to serve God or not and the only thing they can do then is pray that they choose the straight and narrow way. It would be such a blessing to look back and know that despite our failures and mistakes, we did every thing we could to turn their hearts towards Jesus and guide them to the truth, no matter their choice.
The further I get into motherhood, the more terrified I become--this world is a scary, wicked place. But I also grow to rely on God more and more every day, which I believe is exactly where he wants me: fully dependent upon him in every moment of the day. My best on my own is nothing compared to what he can do through me when I allow Him.
The words of a well known hymn have become a repeated prayer of mine: I need thee every hour. We won't make it and our children definitely won't make it if we don't lean on him to raise them, to turn their hearts and eyes upon Jesus. 

Ending with this picture just because... ;) Happy Wednesday, friends!

3 comments:

The Skinny on Staci said...

This was a great post (great pics!) and so true. I never do crafts with mine either! LOL I feel so horrible for it. But how in the world do they make SUCH. HUGE. MESSES. when they make crafts? :)

Jenna said...

I feel excited when my kids color. LOL!

Unknown said...

Oy. Being a mom is admittedly one of the hardest ventures I have ever taken part of. (And yes, I too have to brace myself mentally and physically for craft time. LOL!) Their hearts are SO important...trying to remember that on a daily basis can be difficult. Praise the LORD we have HIM for our example of parenting. Your little ones are getting so big!!!

Popular Posts