Pages

Friday, November 22, 2013

Thankful for Water

The other day my water was shut off for a few hours, unannounced. With a sink full of dirty dishes, a table caked with children’s breakfast foods, heaps of laundry to do and a shower to take. I cried, more because I had held it in while my family left, and the water being shut off was the trigger that allowed the tears to flow. I knew that it was ridiculous to be emotional about this, and proceeded to make do by loading un-rinsed dishes so I didn’t have to look at them in the sink and wipe my table with baby wipes. Which, by the way, were not designed to clean caked on oats and milk off of a table.
 All the while I couldn’t stop thinking of the missionary wives who deal with this on a daily or weekly basis, month after month, year after year. They never get warning and I can only imagine that it happens at the worst of times, when they have so much to do. I’m sure it’s frustrating to them, maybe even maddening to not know when you’ll lose water or when it will come back on, but it’s their way of life and they have come to deal with it. It’s just one of the many sacrifices they make to live on a foreign mission field so that lost souls will hear the gospel.

 My hats off to these women. You are my heroes.

 I’m feeling grateful tonight. Grateful for our country, despite it’s problems, and grateful for our freedoms. Grateful for family, friends, church and God’s Word to guide us. Grateful for a faucet that turns on whenever I need it to.

 Right now I’m also thankful for the weather. It’s currently 34 degrees and I’m wearing a hoodie while my husband works to start a fire.  Tomorrow the shopping for our big Thanksgiving dinner is happening and it’s only appropriate that it should be freezing while filling our cart with abundance. Even though we’re listening to Christmas music and have even decorated the house, Thanksgiving is not a forgotten holiday in this home.


Going through pictures of when my family was here...


My baby sister cooked us a full meal and served it. It was delicious, and I felt really, really old.


And then...the big Christmas decorating party. I'm usually a firm after-Thanksgiving is Christmas person, so this year is very different for me. However, my after Thanksgiving schedule is crazy and it seemed like it would be so much easier to do it now while I had the help. We baked cookies and listened to Christmas music and tried to save as many bulbs as we could from being broken by curious little babies.








I hope you all have a wonderful weekend and rest of your week preparing for your Thanksgiving. I know that many of you have trials you are going through, but please try to focus on the good, even if for just one day. There is always something to be thankful for--even if it is something as simple as water!

0 comments:

Popular Posts