Pages

Friday, August 24, 2012

It's a Clan, it's a tribe, It's Family

I'm not sure when living long distance from family is supposed to get easier. I guess in a way the pain dulls after a while because you settle into your own routine and lives, but the awareness of the void in your heart only grows stronger as the years go on.




I'm so happy where I live, I really am. But that doesn't mean that I don't miss my family like crazy when I'm not around them. My youngest sister was 1 when I got married, which means I've missed out on most of her life. I've missed 3 out of 4 siblings High School Graduations, years of birthdays and lots of hugs and kisses.

My kids are just starting to know and love their great grandparents, which I'm thankful for, but also sad that they won't really ever appreciate them like I do. I'm blessed that I still have almost all of my grandparents living but I know they won't be around forever and I'm sad for the years I've missed living so far away.









If I focused on what I've missed instead of what I've experienced with my family in the past 6 years, I would be sad and depressed most of the time. Instead I've learned to accept and love my life a few thousand miles away from home and whole-heartedly enjoy the moments we do spend together.
 The "Preach-a-ria"


 Remembering hilarious bloopers while singing over the years. When my sisters and I laugh, we really laugh. It's more like screaming and it's the best feeling ever.

 Baking Cake with Nonnie

My kids know their grandparents and love them to death. They know and love their Aunts, Uncles and cousin, and we get to spend so much more time with them than most long distance families that I could never complain.
 Digging for worms to go fishing

 I grew up fishing here, right in my parents back yard. We always caught so many little fish!



We've all heard it over and over again--family remains when friends leave--and I've seen it over and over again. I have a very small group of friends that has been the same since I was young, but other than that, friends have been in and out of my life since I can remember. People change, lives change, standards change, and while we don't want to grow apart from people, we do.
 But family? Family is always there, eating cake and ice cream and wearing cone shaped hats at all our birthday parties, wishing us the best at our graduations, clinking glasses at our weddings. The same people who bounced me on their lap are now bouncing my kids. They love us, they care for us like their own children and we feel the same way about them.



My life is so different now from 6 years ago, but it's better. Despite the 1700 miles that separate us, my family and I are closer now than ever before. Our hearts are knit and nothing can come between us. Besides the last piece of dad's pizza, of course.




1 comments:

Jubilena said...

Jenna, I know this is probably going to sound crazy to you but I can't get over how much your husband looks like your dad!! :D Since I haven't seen your husband in person this is how it looks to me.
Your family is beautiful as always. I can't imagine life with so many sisters. :) Lots of brothers change the dynamics but I love my brothers just the same (and of course my sisters!!!)
The baby in our family was also 1 when I got married ~ when he was 3 or 4 it was hard for him to realize that I was actually his sister!! :) (even though we would remind him every time we saw him!)

Popular Posts