Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Healthy Living Tips, #1: Rearranging the Refrigerator

I'm so excited to bring you my first entry of "Healthy Living Tips"! I've always been very conscious of my weight, tried to eat healthy and work out almost every day, but in the past 3.5 months I had gained about 15 pounds. I spent a lot of time with my family (almost 2 out of the 3 months) and when I'm with them I'm very happy--therefore, I eat. I still work out but I eat more than I burn. Not good.
  It really bugged me that I had gained that much and not been able to take it off--instead, I just added on about 5 more over the holidays and my birthday.
  Anyways, I felt that I needed a little extra motivation because obviously what I was doing was not working. My husband surprised me with a weight watchers membership--because I had been talking and asking about it-- for my birthday and I couldn't have been more thrilled. Not only have I lost 9 pounds in a month, I am learning so much in the meetings each week that help me stay motivated and encouraged.

"Hi, my name is Jenna and I have a problem with FOOD..."

Anyways, I thought that I would share what I learn with you all when I can, thus my first installment of "Healthy Living Tips".

 This week we learned about how to arrange your refrigerator and pantry. You come home at 4pm, you're tired and ravenous. You open the fridge or pantry and what's the first thing you see? If it's last night's take out,  the kids leftover macaroni and cheese, chips or cookies? Chances are, you're gonna grab whatever is easiest to get your hands on and stuff in your mouth. All 8 cookies that are left. Or at least that's what I would do. Which is why I packed on the pounds in the first place!

 So, arrange your fridge so that healthy foods are easily accessible. Take some time at the beginning of the week to chop up some fruit and veggies and place them in clear containers and baggies so you see them as soon as the afternoon munchies sink in. 

 Here's how I arranged mine--strawberries, grapes, celery, peppers and carrots are what I see when I first open it. The kids homemade leftover macaroni and cheese is in the back.


Or I guess I could eat this little guy... ;)

The chopped up fruits were perfect and easy to throw in cereal...

...or to give my crazy little kiddos a mid-morning snack when they are dying of hunger at 10:30 am. 

Needless to say, we have been eating a lot more fruits and veggies around here, simply because they were chopped, ready to go and in clear view! 

I hope these tips will help you all and I'll be sharing more of what I learn with you soon. Please let me know if what I write is helpful to you! :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes yes yes...family definitely equals FOOD! I feel ya there. :) Great tips! Having fresh fruits and veggies handy in the front of the fridge when you open the door is a great idea. I am looking forward to more of your ideas and tips! (Guess I'll have to move that cheesecake to the BACK of the fridge now...LOL!)

Debie said...

Great tip and can relate lol...=)

Victoria said...

Good ideas. And, your son is completely adorable!!

Jessie said...

My dad likes snacking in the late afternoon, so I tried to have celery pre-cut and peanut butter on hand for some added protein to help him stay full, longer. I also bought a big bag of seedless grapes, took them all off the stems and put them in the freezer. My little brother is a snackoholic, like the rest of my family, and it's like having healthy ice cream to him. :) Having everything already washed or cut up is a HUGE help! Having boiled/grilled chicken in containers is helpful as well for those nights when cooking any kind of meat is just too labor intensive. A simple veggie and chicken wrap is easy, healthy, and tasty!

Popular Posts