Pages

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Just Say NO!

Our Pastor preached a great message on Sunday night about fasting. At this point it's not up on the website, but you can keep checking if you want to listen to it. The gist of it is telling the flesh NO, something that we need to do in order to feed the spirit.

Nate is fasting this week, but I can't because I'm nursing. So I have a few things that I've given up, one being sweets. Namely, my dove chocolate. My husband keeps my in steady supply of them and I eat a few each day. They are near and dear to my heart, my mouth, and, sadly, end up on my rear!
While Pastor was preaching I knew that this was something that I would need to give up for a while, so I have. He said that when our flesh tells us to eat, the spirit is telling us to pray.
We have family conference next week. My husband has given up eating and I've given up sugar and a few other things. I can't WAIT to see what God will do in our lives because we are strengthening the Spirit this week!

I want to challenge each of you to pick something in your life this week that you can do without! Through this, I'm learning that it feels so GOOD to tell that rotten flesh NO while uplifting the spirit! Whether it's fasting, giving up something in your diet that you love, no internet, facebook--whatever it may be, tell the flesh no for just this week.

I promise you won't be disappointed! If you do so, feel free to share here when you comment!

3 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences about fasting. Our church will be in Revival this month and our pastor has been encouraging our church members to fast and be in much prayer so that our hearts will be prepared when Revival starts. This is my first experience with fasting and it is hard to say "NO" to my flesh. But through it all, I had much rather be closer to Jesus Christ than food, internet or anything else! Thanks so much again!!!

The Reynolds said...

WoW! Jenna - I never heard that - "when the flesh is saying eat, the Spirit is saying pray!" God must be asking me to pray a LOT and I haven't been tuned in to Him! ScARy!!

I need to hear that message!

Mrs. R

Anonymous said...

hey jen :-)
the fasting is a huge part of spiritual growth that i think we all tend to forget :-/ Ryan and I started fasting every Monday a few months ago and it is amazing! we love it and we have seen MANY prayers answered since we started..My mom doesn't eat chocolate anymore too..she hasn't for years. She was just like you, she loves it but wanted to give something up. I'm not a chocolate lover so I don't know how hard it is, but I know that it took my mom a long time to get use to it! Good luck with your commitments through the next week!
Christina

Popular Posts