Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Mom's Homemade Pancakes, Health-i-fied

Years ago, some friends from Arkansas introduced us to this amazing homemade pancake recipe. They quickly became a weekly breakfast favorite with their light texture and buttery flavor. Aunt Jemima would bow her head in shame if she ever tasted these pancakes, because they are leaps and bounds above the box mix. Seriously, they don't even compare.

 Of course, these pancakes are made with while flour, butter and a little bit of sugar, and if you want an extra special treat or are serving company, I suggest you make the original recipe. My Mom won over me and my sister's husbands with these pancakes. Honestly, I think they married us just so they could visit her and she could make them pancakes.

I've tweaked the recipe over the years to make them healthier and something you could eat on a more regular basis. Let me tell you, the healthy version is just as phenomenal. They are light, still buttery and completely guilt free! The healthy version is what is pictured.
  I halved the butter and replaced it with applesauce. You could probably do all applesauce, but I wanted to keep some of the butter because that's what makes these pancakes amazing. I also subbed almond milk, which cuts way down on calories. Lastly, I replaced the white flour with white-wheat and the sugar for honey.

 Here are both versions. Hope you enjoy!

 Mom's Homemade Pancakes (the non-healthy and completely amazing version)
 Makes apx. 15 pancakes

 1 stick butter, melted
2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 TB sugar

 Whisk together wet ingredients until blended. In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients and whisk into wet ingredients. Pour 1/4 cup full's onto a hot, buttered skillet. Cook on one side until top starts to bubble. Flip and cook other side, about 1-2 minutes until golden brown. Serve with syrup.

Mom's Homemade Pancakes, Health-i-fied 
Makes apx. 15 pancakes

1/2 stick butter, melted
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 cups Almond milk
2 Eggs
1 TB honey
2 cups white-wheat flour (this is still 100% whole wheat, it's just a different wheat berry. I use King Arthur)
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Whisk together wet ingredients until well blended. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients. Whisk into wet ingredients.
 Pour 1/4 cups onto a hot buttered skillet. Cook on one side until top starts to bubble. Flip and cook other side until golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Serve with honey or maple syrup.


Enjoy! These refrigerate and re-heat well! I've never tried freezing them, but I'm sure you could do that and re-heat them in the toaster for busy school mornings.

2 comments:

Deb said...

YUM-O!! :) We love mommys pancakes!!!!

The Skinny on Staci said...

I def miss the taste of butter from cooking my pancakes on a buttered skillet!!! :) These look wonderful!

Popular Posts